Elmer A. Kemp
1896 - 1961
In the year 1915, Elmer A. Kemp
opened a small “store front” funeral parlor at 315
Centre Street in the City of Trenton.
Typical of its day from
which the funeral business was conducted – the wake
and visitation period usually took place at the
residence of the deceased.
The opening of Kemp’s Funeral
Home marked the beginning of a service business that
has continued for nearly a century.
Centre Street location - circa
By 1931, Elmer Kemp had opened
a branch location at 556 N. Pennsylvania Avenue in
nearby Morrisville, Pennsylvania. His mission was to
insure he did everything possible to meet the needs
of every family he served.
In 1935, Elmer Kemp became the Coroner of the County
of Mercer; a position he held for many years. As Coroner, he was responsible for
investigating deaths that occurred under suspicious
Motorized hearse - circa 1929.
In 1948, recognizing the needs of
a growing suburban community, he purchased a house
in the White Horse section of Hamilton Township.
Located at 260 White Horse Avenue, the
house, constructed in the late 1800’s was once owned
by W.V. McGalliard.
McGalliard was involved in
several business ventures which included farming,
poultry, real estate and home building. He also
supplied water to local residents.
As the story goes, McGalliard had
an idea that would later pay off. He planned to
plant 25,000 Norway spruce tree seedlings; eventually
selling them as Christmas trees. They flourished. In
a few years he had a beautiful crop of trees in
which he sold off for $1.00 each.
What McGalliard started, later
growers built into a thriving industry – the
commercial Christmas tree farm.
tanks that supplied local water.